Wide Bay Burnett regional plan
The Wide Bay Burnett region’s economic drivers are in the agriculture, manufacturing and renewable energy sectors. As the gateway to the southern Great Barrier Reef and Fraser Island, tourism is also an important economic driver.
Region at a glance
The region includes the local government areas of:
- Bundaberg Regional Council
- Cherbourg Aboriginal Shire Council
- Fraser Coast Regional Council
- Gympie Regional Council
- North Burnett Regional Council
- South Burnett Regional Council.
As of 2020, the Wide Bay Burnett region was home to 302, 105 people and, with an enviable lifestyle, we expect more people to call the area home in the future.
The current Wide Bay Burnett Regional Plan (2011) is being reviewed to ensure it best reflects the Queensland Government’s strategic direction for managing population growth and regional development.
The Wide Bay Burnett regional plan review will also deliver a strengthened economic focus. This supports economic recovery, resilience and growth in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. It also highlights the opportunities for the region over the next 25 years.
The review will represent the latest example of next generation regional planning in Queensland, aligning economic strategy with long-term land use and infrastructure planning.
The strengthened economic focus will look at creating jobs, backing small businesses to support jobs and communities, supporting key industries such as tourism and agriculture and providing more Queenslanders with access to the skills and training they need for rewarding careers.
The new Wide Bay Burnett Regional Plan will:
- provide direction for local government in preparing local plans
- inform major planning and infrastructure documents developed by government agencies
- set a long-term vision for the region and community aspirations on lifestyle improvements and economic growth
- capitalise on major strategic investments by planning how these can continue to be used as advantages into the future
- collaborate with local governments to address region-specific issues and develop a framework to respond to challenges and opportunities.
Progress on the Wide Bay Burnett Regional Plan review
In early 2020 the regional community was invited to participate in a consultation program to gather ideas that will be considered in drafting the new regional plan.
Community members will be invited to have their say on the draft Wide Bay Burnett Regional Plan when released in the coming months.
Last updated: Thursday, Aug 5, 2021